Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

And Time Marches On... Through April

Glancing at the date it reads Tuesday April 12, 2011... TUESDAY APRIL 12 ALREADY????!!!?!!!

The night seems to be flying by faster than the hours of the day.  I could have sworn minutes ago the clock read 6pm...  it's now well past 10.  What a crazy notion time is, my last night in my house for quite some time is racing towards bed time and then poof! My time here is done for the next 5 months.

Tomorrow afternoon (once I finish re-going over my gear, packing, unpacking, washing, re packing and pacing for a while in anticipation...) I will be heading to the local grocery to pick up my first 5 days of food.   The hike from the A.T.'s approach Trail to Neel's Gap is roughly 38 miles; this can be easily accomplished in 3 to 4 days.  The extra day~ of food is just a precaution should I get held up.  I am thinking lots of oatmeal, GORP, granola bars, hot cocoa mix, jerkey, candy, dried fruit, some top ramen, and a jar of peanut butter will set me just fine.  I may add a few packets of the Gatorade / Crystal lite / Propel for replenishing those nice little electrolytes.

Once the shopping is done and packed up well, I will be leaving home to spend the night at my sister and brother in law's house.  They live far closer to the airport and therefore will let me get a few extra hours sleep Wednesday night.  From there it is a hop skip and a jump to the airport early early early A.M.  and I will be Georgia bound.  How did this trip creep up SO FAST?  Am I really prepared for all that is about to befall me?

The usual pre-journey jitters have set in.  Mentally going over gear, arrangements, points to remember, things to do again and again looking for some detail that might have been missed.  I have this tendency to procrastinate, worry, and then finally say screw it and go for the plunge.   Most of the time this works out just fine, I am sure this time will be no different.  Being psyched up over something people have been doing for generations, with far less than I have now, seems a bit silly.  The trail has been traversed for decades, with far less gear than is "required" now; which is a point I have to frequently remind myself of.  None the less, being prepared is always a plus.   But really how prepared can you be for a REAL ADVENTURE!?

I suppose I have delayed in this long enough, but the time has come for my completed gear list.  This is the list of all gear I will be taking with me, broken down into sections.

Sleeping Equipment:
hammock: Warbonnet Black Bird Hammock 1.1dbl
tarp: Big Mamajamba
bag: Mountain Hardware Flip 25-40
bottom insulation: Therm-a-rest prolite plus
extra: DIY SPE (do it yourself segmented pad extender.)
extra: Peregrine ground cloth (trimmed to size)

Pack:
pack: L.L Bean White Mountain Pack 
pack cover: Dick's Sporting Goods generic pack cover.
waterproofing: Contractor bag liner
Black Diamond ergo cork trekking poles

Clothing:
Bottom
Base Layer: Capeline 2 briefs
Base Layer: Mountain Hardware stretch layer
Pants: North Face Paramount Convertible Pants
Rain: Marmot PreCip Pants
Camp: North Face Impulse flight series
Top
Base Layer: Capilene 1 T-shirt (different design)
Insulation 1: Capilene 3 mid-weight crew
Insulation 2: Northface Natchez fleece vest
Head
UV/Insect shield Buff
UV/Insect shield Bandana
live simply cap with visor
freaking sweet wolf ear DIY wool hat (Special thanks to Jaz)

Feet
2x Smartwool Med cushion socks
1x Smartwool light cusion socks
Merrel Moab Ventil Mid
Walmart brand croc rip off camp shoes :)

Health, Hygiene & Safety:
First Aid:
diotame
diamode
antacidibuprofen
acetaminophen
antihistamine
glaciergel
moleskin
alcohol swab
bandaids
buterfly closures
after cuts wipes
triple antibiotic ointment
towelettes
safety pins
gauze


other:
Headlamp (LED, regular, and red light settings)
a sweet whistle! (thanks to my awesome brother)
Compass
Tooth Brush
Dr. Bronner's all-one soap 
Camp towel
Deet/UV sunblock
duck tape

Water & Food Preparation:
water:
filtration: Katadyn Vario
Storage: Nalgene 1l 
Storage: 2litre water bladder with bite valve
food:
DIY Soda can stove
denatured alcohol
DIY wind screen & pot stand
Aluminum pot
MSR pot handle


Misc:
The A.T. Guide
Journal
Pen/Pencil
Trowel
Biodegradable TP/wipes
Camera
iPhone (will be kept off except in town for wifi to update blog, as well as calling to check in at home.  The occasional music indulgence can't hurt either.
earbuds

Wow!  What a list to have comprised and gathered in the past 6 months.  I can't believe everything that fits inside this pack  It all fit's really nicely as well, which is a huge relief.  Now how to get it all packed solidly inside the pack so it can fit on the plane.  THAT is tomorrows venture.  I will update you all with how travel towards Georgia goes, as well as my night in the hiker's hostel.  For now, good night

also, I must remember to pick up ear plugs!


 

5 comments:

  1. Might wanna leave anything with a strong scent like Jerky away. Even if you tie it up in the tree if they catch a scent and can't get to it, it will attract them! (Them being CREEPERS! Like toothless folk with axes) lol no, but really...CALLING HOME MEANS FREELAND TOO!! Just saying...there are a few people here that may want check ups just as often... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. this makes me laugh 'cause this is pretty much where i'm at right now. except that i haven't finished buying all of my gear. my friend's picking me up thursday and drivin' me to atlanta and i'll start friday.

    i called a friend of mine who lives in middle virginia tonight and i was like, "help! i feel like i'm forgetting something!" but she was just like, "eh. you're good."

    pretty much, the main things i've got left to buy are my water filtration system and my mess kit. thursday night will consist of a lot of packing and unpacking and repacking, etc.

    i've got a droid, and i'm not real sure if you're interested, but we found a solar cell phone charger online today that charges via usb. i don't know how the iphone charges, but the charger was only like $30. o.O if'n you're interested, i think it was an eton fr160?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you already know what you are getting for those items? If you still haven't got them yet I would recommend the Aquamira drops. Lightest weight and most inexpensive. Only down side I have seen to them is A) you have to wait like 25 minutes after treating before you can drink... not a bad thing if you can plan far enough ahead. B) Doesn't help you reach that smaller area of water that can't quite be scooped with your bag/bottles. Again not a huge issue it seems along most of the AT :D

    Great find on that charger though! I am working avidly to not use my phone when on trail, so I am going to hold off for now. However I have it book marked and emailed to my parents so should I find I want it, it's only a click away :)

    Are you starting at the approach trail or getting a ride up the road a ways? I have no idea what time the shuttle from the hostel will set out to the park, but perhaps I will see you on the trail/shelter :)! Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK you sound well prepared. : ) the only thing I noticed being the mom is where are the veggies? I may have to helicopter some in to you. LOL
    Have a GREAT trip! Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Brandonito! Where do you think you'll be by mid-June? I think I'm driving to NH then

    ReplyDelete