Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

"After Clingman's Dome, it's all down hill" -nature boy

Waking up before 3am this morning was not easy.  My body rebelled from the mere 2.5 hours of sleep it got that night and sluggishly pulled its way out of bed.   I spent the night visiting my sister and brother-in-law whome convinced me to stay up far too late watching biodome... ok so maybe that's not completely true.   It didn't take a lot of convincing on their part, but watch bio dome we did.  

The hours following my rude awakening were spent a bit frozen as the reality of where I was heading that day came crashing down around my ears.  The 1.5 hour car ride to the airport sped by far too fast, before I knew what was happening I was handing my boarding pass to a very bored fellow with a scanning gun.   The flight was cramped as they tend to be for anyone with legs taller than that of a gnome, and the bounce box I was using as a carry on (loaded with my first days of food) got tattered battered and torn to shreds and my peanut butter had to be tossed as it was not a welcome passenger aboard a bowing 747.   After a brief mix up with where my bag ended up, I hoped the Marta Rail system and headed to North Spring Station.  

From there a hop skip and a jump to the hikers hostel and many words of wisdom from the very experienced and personal "Nature Boy." I now sit using the hostel computer looking forward to our escapade into town in a couple hours from supper.  Subway here I come!  As well as walmart for a new box :/.

After getting my gear together and looking at my bounce box, I realized how useless it might just be.  The only items contained in this box so far are the left over food items I won't need to get me to Neel's Gap.  Once I get to Mountain Crossing's and pick it up, draining it of my excess food, and doing a bag shake down test, I may end up dropping it all together and just packing the extra ounce in charger weight.  But only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment